News

Return to List
Safety Tip for the home from the Safety Committee
Posted on Dec 10, 2018

Before you go to sleep, be sure your fireplace is out.  NEVER close your damper with hot ashes in the fireplace.  A closed damper will help the fire to heat up again and will force toxic carbon monoxide into the house.
 
If you are using wood pellets, propane gas or firewood this Winter, remember that they
all produce Carbon Monoxide. Carbon Monoxide is colorless, tasteless, odorless and deadly.
  Install Carbon Monoxide detectors in your home at a height of 5 feet from the floor.
BE SAFE THIS WINTER
 
Candle Safety
According to the National Fire Protection Association, December is the peak time of year for home candle fires.  In December, more home candle fires begin with decorations compared to the rest of the year.  On average, a candle fire in the home is reported every 34 minutes.
Tips from the NFPA:
- Consider using battery-operated candles which can look, smell, and feel like real candles.
- Use sturdy, safe candle holders. Protect the candle flames with glass globes or containers.
- Keep candles away from things that can burn, such as Christmas trees, decorations and curtains.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended.  Blow out candles when you leave a room or go to sleep.
- Keep children and pets away from burning candles.